MMF Pre-College Instrumental Institute
June 27th – July 22nd, 2017
For ages 14-17
- Masterclasses and private lessons with world renowned faculty and guest teaching artists
- Chamber music coached by faculty and guest artists
- Potential opportunity to participate in symphonic reading and/or concert performance assignments
- Sessions on navigating the college audition process, selection of repertoire
ABOUT THE MMF PRE-COLLEGE INSTRUMENTAL PROGRAM
In addition to our collegiate level and pre-professional programs, the MMF Orchestral Institute offers a select group of passionate young high school musicians the opportunity to learn alongside advanced musicians while also studying under faculty assembled from the world's leading universities and classical music institutions.
The MMF Pre-College Instrumental program is designed for dedicated young instrumentalists who plan to continue their musical studies at the collegiate or conservatory level. All high school participants receive private lessons, masterclass opportunities, chamber music coachings, and the possibility of symphonic reading and concert performance assignments. The MMF Pre-College Instrumental program also conducts seminars, mock auditions, orchestral excerpt study, and faculty guidance in preparing young musicians for college entrance auditions and performance practices beyond the classroom or ensemble.
Pre-college students may have the opportunity to be placed in symphonic readings or concerts, but participation is not guaranteed for any student, regardless of age. Faculty may decide that a student would be better served by limited orchestral time with more specific focus on private study and chamber music
Chamber Music Performance Opportunities
MMF places significant importance on the study and performance of chamber music. The chamber music program frequently collaborates with faculty players, as well as the festival's Piano Institute, exploring chamber works for trios, quartets, quintets, and sextets.
Students audition at the beginning of each season for chamber group placement and rotation, with ensembles coached by faculty and artists-in-residence. Performance opportunities include weekly chamber concerts at Barry University and The Betsy–South Beach Chamber Music Series.
MMF performs a symphony concert each season devoted to winners of the MMF Concerto Competition. Each season, multiple winners are featured as soloists alongside the MMF Orchestra for one movement of a standard concerto in a large-scale concert. Concerto auditions take place at the end of the first week of the festival and are heard by a panel consisting of the festival's faculty. Students may audition with one movement of any concerto from the Classical through Romantic eras.
2017 Orchestral Concert Performances
2017 Audition Dates
- New York City @ NOLA Studios – February 4th
- Boston, MA – February 5th
- Houston, TX – February 7th @ HGO Studios
- Los Angeles, CA – February 6th
- San Francisco, CA @ SFCM – February 7th
- Washington, DC – February 15th
- Miami, FL @ Barry University – February 17th-18th
- Pittsburgh @ Carnegie Mellon – January 29th
- Cleveland Institute of Music – January 30th
- Oberlin Conservatory – January 30th
- Ann Arbor, MI @ UM – January 31st
- Chicago, IL @ Roosevelt – February 1st
- Bloomington, IN @ IU – February 2nd
- Manhattan School of Music – February 3rd (MSM students only)
* video submissions are due March 1st
Tuition and Fees
Registration Fee: $250
Application Fee: $35
$860 per person/double-occupancy
$1261 per person/single-occupancy
(Miami residents who choose to reside at home do not pay housing fees)
Meal plans and linen packages are also available for purchase after acceptance.
Additional Information about on-campus housing can be found here.
Partial scholarships are available based on audition results. Miami Music Festival also assists students in fundraising and creating campaigns to help defray program costs.
HOW TO APPLY
- Live auditions or videos should consist of two contrasting works of the applicant’s choice, no longer than 15 minutes in total length*
- Video recordings should be recorded during the last year and not contain any audio edits
- Separate Video Files for each work are allowed
* Piano accompaniment is not required but may be used.
Live audition: limited openings available in select audition locations.
Video: received by March 1, 2017
NOTICE OF NONDISCRIMINATION POLICY AS TO STUDENTS
The Miami Music Institute admits students of any race, color, creed, sex, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, family responsibility, national origin, ancestry, handicap, or religion to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the Institute. It does not discriminate in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship programs or any other Institute-administered programs.
Miami Music Festival Sponsors: