MMF Audition Information for the 2018 Season will be announced October 1st.
MMF Piano Institute
June 6th – June 24th, 2017
- Weekly private lessons and masterclasses with acclaimed faculty including Alessio Bax, Douglas Humpherys, Ching-Yun Hu, Alexandre Moutouzkine, and Anton Nel
- MMF Piano Concerto Competition in which three winners perform in concert alongside the MMF Symphony Orchestra
- Weekly recital opportunities
- Classes and forums in technique, artistry, musicianship and career management
- Assigned practice room and time available each day
- Chamber music study in collaboration with the MMF Orchestra Institute
- Instrumental and Vocal Collaborative training for pianists interested in gaining additional experience
- Group outings and performances to various South Florida locations including South Beach, Steinway Coral Gables and more
The MMF Piano Institute is a rigorous and in-depth program for devoted and exceptionally talented young pianists, ranging from the pre-college to conservatory level. The goal of the program is to offer solo and collaborative pianists a stimulating environment in which to study and explore various musical philosophies. With an open-class policy, students have the unique opportunity to observe, participate and learn from the insights of each faculty artist and student. Additionally, scheduled open forums examine structural analysis, the dynamics of performance, thematic scope, and career management. In the tradition of Schnabel, Rachmaninoff, Neuhaus and Liszt, the MMF Piano Institute encourages the philosophy that a diversity of ideas inspires and facilitates artistic freedom.
Under the guidance of acclaimed guest & resident faculty including Ching-Yun Hu, Alessio Bax, Anton Nel, Douglas Humpherys, and Alexandre Moutouzkine, participants receive weekly private piano lessons, intensive technical and artistic seminars, career forums and master classes. Performance opportunities include solo recital and chamber music study in collaboration with the MMF Orchestra Institute, coached by piano and instrumental faculty.
The Miami Music Festival Piano Institute is sponsored by Steinway and Sons of Coral Gables who graciously loan MMF exceptional pianos for participant study and performance throughout the festival.
INSTRUMENTAL COLLABORATIVE PROGRAM
In addition to solo repertoire, pianists have the opportunity to participate in the Instrumental Collaborative program with members of the MMF orchestra. Each student may be assigned chamber works for trios, quartets, quintets, etc. Pianists will also work on instrument sonatas–e.g. Beethoven Violin Sonatas, the Hindemith Flute Sonata, the Brahms E-flat Clarinet Sonata and the Prokofiev Cello Sonata.
Participants will have the opportunity to compete in the MMF Piano Concerto Competition. Under selection by the faculty panel, up to three winners will perform at a large-scale festival concert alongside the MMF Symphony Orchestra. Winners will also receive a professional video recording for their personal promotional use.
2017 Audition Dates
- New York City @ NOLA Studios – February 4th
- Boston, MA – February 5th
- Houston, TX @ HGO Studios – February 7th
- Los Angeles, CA – February 6th
- San Francisco, CA @ SFCM – February 7th
- Washington, DC – February 15th
- Miami, FL @ Barry University – February 17th-18th
- Pittsburgh @ Carnegie Mellon – January 29th
- Cleveland Institute of Music – January 30th
- Oberlin Conservatory – January 30th
- Ann Arbor, MI @ UM – January 31st
- Chicago, IL @ Roosevelt – February 1st
- Bloomington, IN @ IU – February 2nd
- Manhattan School of Music – February 3rd (MSM students only)
* video submissions due March 1st
Tuition and Fees
Registration Fee: $250
Application Fee: $35
HOUSING FEES Per Session
$650 per person/double-occupancy
$960 per person/single-occupancy
HOW TO APPLY
- Live auditions or videos should consist of two contrasting works of the applicants choice, no longer than 15 minutes in total length.
- Video submissions should be recorded during the last year and not contain any audio edits.
- Separate Video Files for each work are allowed
Partial scholarships are available based on merit from the audition results. Early applications have a higher chance of receiving scholarship. Miami Music Festival also assists students in fundraising and creating campaigns to help defray program costs.
NOTICE OF NONDISCRIMINATION POLICY AS TO STUDENTS
The Miami Music Institute admits students of any race, color, creed, sex, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, family responsibility, national origin, ancestry, handicap, or religion to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the Institute. It does not discriminate in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship programs or any other Institute-administered programs.
Miami Music Festival is Sponsored by: