Seasonal Position: Internships are offered for both sessions. Applicants are encouraged to intern for both sessions to gain the most out of their internship, but it is not required.
Session One: June 6 – July 1, 2018
Session Two: July 4 – July 29, 2018.
Office: Miami Music Festival @ Barry University, Miami Shores, FL
Miami Music Festival (MMF) is seeking two design interns (one lighting, one set/props) for its opera department during the summer festival season running June through the end of July 2018. Design interns will assist in the production and organization of all opera department events including six mainstage productions, concerts with orchestra, and several smaller events. Responsibilities may include leading or assisting in the design of lighting and sets for opera productions.
All mainstage operas are full-productions complete with a professional team of stage directors, designers, costumers and an orchestra in a 970-seat proscenium theater with an orchestra pit.
Knowledge of safety in a technical theater environment required. Design interns may be asked to lead the process of designing and implementing lighting plots and sets under the supervision of MMF's professional production staff and Barry University’s Broad Theater Technical Director. Design Interns report to the Stage Manager and/or the Production Manager, as well as stage directors and Director of Production.
- 1-2 years stage and/or design experience of fully-staged productions.
- Degree in theater or technical theater in progress or completed.
- Basic knowledge of production equipment including light board operation, stage manager's console, fly rail, technical theater.
- Knowledge of basic theater safety procedures.
- Knowledge of technical theater equipment.
- Ability to organize and adhere to complex schedules.
- Knowledge of stage management paperwork.
- Professional communication ability.
- Ability and willingness to work long hours, week-nights and weekends.
- Ability to work with directors in implementing a specific concept and design for a production.
- Knowledge of stage management and technical theater terms and documents (e.g. light plot, technical specifications, blue prints, and equipment schedules.
- Lives in Miami-Dade or Broward.
- Must be able to handle organizational and communication aspects of the position in a positive, professional, and timely manner. Above all, must have a positive attitude and be a team player
UNPAID INTERNSHIP– MMF offers a $250 stipend per Session. College credit. On-campus housing provided at a discounted rate.
Please Apply Here and attach cover letter and resume to your online application form. PDF format preferred.
Application Deadline: May 20th, 2018