MSMF is please to add a concertmaster training/string audition seminar to its programs this summer. Led by Gary Levinson, Senior Principal Associate Concertmaster of the Dallas Symphony, violinists will have an opportunity to study the major violin solos from the orchestral literature including Strauss' Ein Heldenleben," Le Bourgoise Gentilhomme" and "Also Sprach Zarathustra," Tchaikovsky Swan Lake, Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade and Capriccio Espagnole, and Beethoven Missa Solemnis. Each 90 minute session will focus on the following:
· Context of the solo in the work
· Fingering/bowing choices and the reasoning behind it
· Successful audition techniques
· Performance practice by some of the world’s most distinguished concertmasters (i.e. Glenn Dicterow,William Preucil)
· Stylistic differences of particular ensembles
Andres Cárdenes, internationally acclaimed conductor, Tchaikovsky Competition laureate, and former concertmaster of the Pittsburgh Symphony will also work with these students. Mr. Levinson will also direct orchestral excerpt classes which will be led by members of the MSMF faculty.