Live audition slots still open in select cities. Please contact email@example.com to check availability and schedule a live audition.
Video Deadline- March 1
Brass and Percussion Studies
June 27 – July 19, 2018
Opera & Conductors Orchestra
June 20 – July 29, 2018
The MMF Orchestra Institute accepts talented young brass and percussion players for intensive study and performance. Ranging from pre-college to emerging professionals, accepted instrumentalists are serious musicians who are planning to enter or are in the process of completing a music program at an accredited institution, or are entering the world of professional auditions. The brass and percussion program is aimed at developing the necessary skills for achieving success in a career in the symphonic field.
All brass and percussion students audition upon arrival for placement in the MMF Symphony Orchestra, which performs multiple symphonic concerts each season at both the New World Center and Barry University's Broad Theatre. Additional performance opportunities include chamber music concerts and participation in the MMF Concerto Competition.
Brass and percussion players receive private lessons and chamber music coachings with MMF's esteemed faculty and guest teaching artists from such renowned institutions as the National Symphony Orchestra, the Philadelphia Orchestra, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, and others. MMF also offers masterclasses and seminars in artistry and career objectives. Over the course of the festival, students explore solo technique, chamber and collaborative works, and demanding orchestral repertoire.
Full and partial scholarships are available; see below for application information.
Brass and Percussion Studies HIGHLIGHTS
- Private lessons and masterclasses with world-renowned faculty and guest teaching artists
- Symphonic concerts performed at the New World Center and Broad Theatre
- Chamber music performances coached by faculty and artists-in-residence
- Concerto Competition granting multiple winners a concerto performance with the MMF Symphony Orchestra
- Orchestra readings and sectionals covering standard symphonic repertoire
- Career management classes given by MMF faculty and visiting artists
- Mock auditions with MMF faculty and conductors
2018 Brass Faculty (additional faculty for Percussion TBA)
CHAMBER MUSIC PERFORMANCE OPPORTUNITIES
MMF places significant importance on the study and performance of chamber music. The chamber music program frequently collaborates with faculty artists, as well as the MMF Piano Institute, exploring chamber music in a wide range of instrumentations and styles.
Students audition for placement and rotation, and ensembles are coached by faculty and visiting artists. Performance opportunities include weekly chamber concerts at Barry University and The Betsy South Beach.
Winners of the Concerto Competition have the opportunity to perform as soloist with the full MMF Symphony Orchestra in a public concert. Concerto auditions are heard by a panel of the faculty and visiting artists, which selects multiple winners each season. Students may audition with one movement of any concerto from the Classical through Romantic eras.
2018 Live Audition Dates
- Boston, Massachusetts – February 15
- New York, New York – February 16-17
- Houston, Texas – February 17
- Los Angeles, California – February 23
- Washington, DC – February 24
- San Francisco, California – February 24
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – February 5
- Oberlin, Ohio – February 6
- Cleveland, Ohio – February 6
- Ann Arbor, Michigan – February 7
- Chicago, Illinois – February 8
- Bloomington, Indiana – February 9
- Miami, Florida – February 13-14
Video submissions are due by 11:59pm on March 1, 2018.
2018 Orchestral Concert Programming
Tuition and Fees
Registration Fee $250.00
Application Fee $35.00
Per person/double occupancy $860.00
Per person/single occupancy $1,261.00
Miami residents who choose to reside at home do not pay housing fees.
Meal plans and linen packages also available for purchase after acceptance.
Partial scholarships are available based on financial need and audition results. Early applications have a higher chance of receiving scholarship. Miami Music Festival also assists students in fundraising and creating campaigns to help defray program costs.
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete our online application. You may choose to select either a live audition date or submit a recording link via YouTube in lieu of a live audition.
- One movement of a standard concerto or similar solo work (expositions from classical works are also accepted)*
- Three standard orchestral excerpts (chosen by applicant)
- Video recordings should be recorded during the last year and not contain any audio edits
- Separate video files for each work are allowed
Percussion Requirements can be found here.
* Piano accompaniment is not required but may be used for the solo work.
Live audition: limited openings available in select audition locations.
Video: received by 11:59pm on March 1, 2018.
NOTICE OF NONDISCRIMINATION POLICY AS TO STUDENTS
The Miami Music Institute admits students of any race, color, creed, sex, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, family responsibility, national origin, ancestry, handicap, or religion to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the Institute. It does not discriminate in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship programs or any other Institute-administered programs.
Miami Music Festival Sponsors: